New York City Subway’s “Jewel In The Crown”
The New York City Subway system officially opened on October 27, 1904 at the City Hall Station. It was the final stop on the downtown Lexington Avenue IRT local #6 train. It is situated under City Hall Park.
It was closed because as the subway became more popular, extra cars had to added but the tight radius of the platform meant there were large gaps between the train and the platform.
The skylights are made put of cut amethyst glass. The chandeliers (as seen in top picture) and lights originally featured glass luminaires, but vibrations from the subway and its equipment destroyed them.
The New York City Transit Museum, once or twice a year, runs a special excursion train called “The Jewel In The Crown: Old City Hall Station”. These trips are only available to museum members. The special train stops at the Old City Hall Station.
City Hall Subway Station – 04 February 2007 — Flickr set